Amino Acid Analyses
These Association of Official Analytical Chemists, International (AOAC), and peer-reviewed Journal of the AOAC, Int., and other research procedures, are specifically designed for the analysis of feeds, plant tissue, cereals, raw and processed foods, solutions, media, and waste products, etc., where sample amounts are suitable for each test requested. Official methods of analysis typically employ cation-exchange chromatography (cIEC-HPLC) coupled with post-column ninhydrin derivatization and quantitation. Research methods using HPLC, gas-liquid chromatography (GLC) and mass spectrometry (MS), are also available, but not standard.
Current academic or corporate price lists for analytical services are available by e-mail. Please refer to the sample submittal webpage for information pertaining the declaration of 'supplemental' reagent grade amino acid levels prior to analysis.
Feeds, Grains and Foods
- Complete Amino Acid Profile (AAP) *
- Tau, Hyp, Asp, Thr, Ser, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Cys, Val, Met, Ile, Leu, Tyr, Phe, Hyl, His, Orn, Lys, Trp, Arg
- Amino Acid Profile without Tryptophan (AAP-T) *
- Tau, Hyp, Asp, Thr, Ser, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Cys, Val, Met, Ile, Leu, Tyr, Phe, Hyl, His, Orn, Lys, Arg
- Cysteine, Methionine and Lysine +9 (CML+9) *
- Cys, Met, Lys, Asp, Thr, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Val, Ile and Leu.
- Standard Protein Hydrolysate (SPH) *
- Asp, Thr, Ser, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Met, Val, Ile, Leu, Tyr, Phe, His, Lys, Arg.
- Methionine, Lysine or Hydroxyproline (M, L or HP) *
- Cysteine & Methionine (CM) *
- Performic acid oxidation/acid hydrolysis.
- Tryptophan (T) *
- by Enzymatic hydrolysis - colorimetric determination.
- by Alkaline hydrolysis - ion exchange.
- Free Supplemental Amino Acids (FM, FL or FML) **
- Encapsulated Supplemental Amino Acids **
- Supplemental Amino Acid Profile - Foods/Feeds (FAAP) **
- Note: this is not a physiological profile of plant tissue for amino acid, only a supplemental method.
- Tau, Hyp, Asp,Thr, Ser, Glu, Gly, Ala, Val, Met, Ile, Leu, Tyr, Phe, Hyl, His, Orn, Lys, Arg
- Available Lysine (AL)
- Determination of total protein lysine and total available lysine.
- Available Lysine and Complete Amino Acid Profile (AL+AAP) *
- Glutamine (crude/purified peptides and proteins) research method
- HMB (also known as MHA, and others) - methionine analogue
- A methionine 'analogue' (2-hydroxy-4-(methylthio)butanoic acid) that is commonly found as a supplement in animal feeds and foods. Please note, that this is NOT an amino acid as it does not possess an amine. A transaminase reaction within the body converts the analogue to methionine.
- *Please note that all amino acid analyses marked with an asterisk require sample nitrogen to be analyzed (i.e., crude protein), unless nitrogen values are provided with submitted sample(s).
- ** Supplemental amino acid concentrations need to be declared.
- *** The chemical makeup of encapsulants around amino acids needs to be declared.
- Plasma or Serum, Free amino acids (Phys-P) *
- Important: see Method References regarding volumes required and suggested sample preparation.
- Urine, Free amino acids (Phys-U) *
- Cerebrospinal Fluid *
- * Reports include the following amino acids: PSer, Tau, PETN, urea, Asp, Hyp, Thr, Ser, Asn, Glu, Gln, Sar, Aad, Pro, Gly, Ala, Cit, Abu, Val, Met, Cys, Ile, Leu, Tyr, Hyc/AHyc, Phe, Bala, Gaba, HCys, Etn, Trp, Hyl, Orn, Lys, 1-MHis, His, 3-MHis, Ans, Carn, Arg.
Amino Acid Assays - Research
- Please inquire
Microanalysis of Amino Acids
These analytical procedures are typically modified AOAC Int., JAOAC Int. or research methods to accommodate sample sizes or sample types that require special attention (additional charges apply). This would also include stained/unstained polyacrylamide gels, lyophilized or solution samples, samples on PVDF (preferred), nitrocellulose, resin, etc.
- Amino Acid Profile (Tryptophan not included, inquire)
- Hyp, Asp, Thr, Ser, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Cys, Val, Met, Ile, Tyr, Phe, Hyl, His, Lys, Arg
- Standard Protein and Peptide Hydrolysis
- Hyp, Asp, Thr, Ser, Glu, Pro, Gly, Ala, Val, Met, Ile, Tyr, Phe, Hyl, His, Lys, Arg
- Sample in stained/unstained polyacrylamide gel.
- Lyophilized sample or in solution.
- Sample on PVDF, preferred, nitrocellulose, Immobilon (or similar membrane), resin, etc.