Lipids, Fats and Oils
These methods of the American Oil Chemist Society (AOCS), Association of Official Analytical Chemists, International (AOAC), American Association of Cereal Chemists (AACC), and related peer-reviewed research journals, are specifically designed for the analysis of oilseed, fats, oils, foods/feeds, cereals, etc., where sample amounts are suitable for each test requested. Methods include standard wet chemistries, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas-liquid chromatography (GLC) and mass spectrometry (MS).
Current academic or corporate price lists for analytical services are available by e-mail. Please refer to the sample submittal webpage for information pertaining the declaration of 'supplements' and reagent grade lipids, fats, etc., prior to analysis.
Oils, Fats, and Related Analyses
- Fatty Acid Profile - saturated, mono- and polyunsaturates *
- Tallow, lard, butters, oils, margarines, etc.
- Meats and Feeds *
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid Profile *
- Total Fatty Acid (crude, see also Method References & Proximates)
- Free Fatty Acids
- Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLA, reported as 'total')
- Peroxide Value of Fats and Oils **
- 4-Hr. or 20-Hr. AOM Peroxide Value
- Other stability times or AOCS tests
- Iodine Value
- TBA (Thiobarbituric Acid) Rancidity (AOCS approved method)**
- TBARS (2-Thiobarbituric Acid Reactive Substances, non-AOCS)**
- Color, FAC
- Cholesterol **
- Total, in egg
- Total, in meat and meat by-products
- Total, in blood, plasma and serum
- Free and esterified Cholesterol
- Phospholipids, Total
- Free, as supplemental, or total (please specify)
- Total Carotenoids
- Xanthophylls and Carotene
- Antioxidants ***
- Ethoxyquin, in eggs, tissue and fat.
- BHA, BHT, PG, DG, TBHQ (in fats and oils)
- *methods require 'crude fat' analysis for feeds, foods, grains, etc., that are not fats and oils, for report calculations.
- ** Lipid extracted required if sample is not an oil or fat..
- *** estimated ranges of all supplements must be declared.
Other Lipid, Fat, Specific Fatty Acids and Oil Analyses
- MIU (moisture, insoluble, unsaponifiable)
- Saponification Number
- Other Analyses (please inquire)